Share the Plant-Based Love During Vegan Awareness Month
October is Vegetarian Awareness Month – a month to celebrate the health, environmental, humanitarian and ethical benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle. That means it’s the perfect month to spread the word about the benefits of a healthy 100% plant-based diet, free from animal products and focused on whole, organic vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts and grains. Here are just a few reasons that we can all celebrate a healthy vegan diet.
Plant-Based Diets Are Good For You
Studies have shown that plant-based diets are superior because of the copious amounts of vitamins, minerals and fiber that vegans eat. And all of that has a tremendous effect on your health including:
- Weigh Less: Vegans, on average, weigh about 30 pounds less than meat-eaters. When you fill up on nutrient-dense vegetables, fruits, beans, seeds, nuts and grains, you get all of the protein, vitamins and minerals you need without the excess fat and calories that meat and animal products have. This equates to a lower body weight and happier you!
- Lower Cholesterol: Individuals on a plant-based diet have an average of 44% lower LDL cholesterol than those following a meat-based diet. And if you already have high cholesterol, studies have shown that it can be reversed with a plant-based diet. In fact, many of our 22 Days Success Stories feature people who have lowered their cholesterol with a plant-based diet alone – including Raymond, Emmet and Shirley. Now that’s some serious plant power!
- Live Longer: On average, those on a plant-based diet live 8 years longer than the general population. Eat well and live longer!
- Boost Metabolism: A plant-based diet increases the body’s metabolism and causes it to burn calories up to 16% faster than the body would on a meat-based diet. That’s right, simply by eating plants and avoiding animal products, your body will burn more calories.
- Reduced Cancer Risk: Vegetables and fruits contain a multitude of antioxidants that help reduce cancer risk. Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, cauliflower and cabbage contain the cancer-fighting antioxidant sulforaphane while tomatoes contain lycopene and orange vegetables contain beta-carotene. When you eat a plant-based diet, you naturally consume a colorful variety of fruits and vegetables all of which increases the amount of cancer-fighting compounds you add to your arsenal.
And that’s really just the tip of the iceberg! Vegans report having clearer skin, more energy and better sex drive than those that follow a meat-based diet.
How Can You Celebrate Vegan Awareness Month? Spread the Word
First of all, spread the news about the health benefits of a plant-based diet! As we educate friends, family and loved ones, not only do we help to improve their health, we also help to normalize a plant-based diet – to see it as something that is natural, delicious and easy to do!
Participate in Meatless Mondays by avoiding animal products every Monday (or pick another favorite day of the week). This is a great way to get started with a plant-based diet. Many people who try it report that they didn’t realize how many delicious plant-based meals they could make and enjoy.
22 Days Vegan Challenge
Why not take this month to challenge yourself to 22 days of a plant-based diet? We have several options that will set you up for success including: Vegan Meal Delivery: Every week, our plant-based chefs create delicious meals prepared with local, organic vegan ingredients – and deliver them to your doorstep! Learn more about how easy (and delicious!) it is to get started with Vegan Meal Delivery > 22 Days Vegan Challenge Kit: With our Vegan Challenge Kit, you are armed with everything you need to try a healthy plant-based diet for 22 days: meal plans, recipes, bars and protein powders for smoothies. Learn more about the Vegan Challenge Kit > The 22-Day Revolution: Our Founder Marco Borges’ latest book educates you even further about the many benefits of a plant-based diet and gives you 22 days of meal plans and over 65 recipes. Pick up a copy this month > Now it’s your turn! We would love to hear from you about how you will celebrate a plant-based diet this month. Share your thoughts below!