Welcome to Day 10 of the 22 Days Challenge!
If you are new to the Challenge, be sure to read up on everything we’re doing
Every day, we’ll be sharing a meal plan along with recipes so it will be easy for you to challenge yourself to a plant-based lifestyle for 22 Days. You can also follow #22DaysVegan on Instagram
to see what we and others are preparing every day. Snap a photo of your favorite vegan meal, tag it #22DaysVegan and you could win 1 of 3 delicious prizes. We’ll announce winners on December 26.
Day 10: 22 Days of Vegan Meals
Meal plan and recipes by Gena Hamshaw, certified clinical nutritionist and author of Choosing Raw
Smoothie of 1 cup frozen blueberries or mixed berries, 1 cup coconut water, 1/2 small avocado, 1 serving 22Days Chocolate protein powder, and a dash of cinnamon.
Easy curried yellow lentils with avocado croutons (serves 4
3/4 cup onion, diced
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup yellow lentils
1 sweet potato, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
2 carrots, diced (optional, but I had them, so I used them!)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp mild curry powder
1 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp sea salt
Black pepper to taste
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion till its turning translucent and a little golden. Add the lentils, potato, carrots, and spices/seasonings, and stir to combine everything.
2. Add the broth or water to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, or until the lentils and sweet potato are tender.
3. Allow lentils to cool a bit, then serve with fresh avocado slices.
Fresh vegetable crudites with 1/4 cup hemp hummus
Black bean and quinoa salad with quick cumin dressing (serves 4
For the salad:
1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
2 cups vegetable broth or water
1/2 large cucumber, diced neatly
1 small bell pepper, diced neatly
1 can BPA free, organic black beans
10-15 basil leaves, chopped into a chiffonade
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
For the vinaigrette:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse quinoa through a sieve till the water runs clear. Transfer it to a small or medium sized pot and add two cups of vegetable broth or water and dash of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pot so that the lid is on, but there’s a small gap where water can escape. Simmer till quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid and is fluffy (about 15-20 minutes).
2. Transfer cooked quinoa to a mixing bowl. Add chopped vegetables, black beans, and herbs.
3. Whisk dressing ingredients. Add the dressing to the salad, and serve. (If you don’t feel that you need all the dressing, just add as much as you’d like to.)
Salad will keep for three days in the fridge.
1/2 cup chocomole (serves 2)
1 large, ripe Haas avocado, pitted
½ tsp vanilla
4 heaping tablespoons raw cacao powder
3 tbsp maple syrup or agave
1/4 cup water (more as needed)
Place all ingredients in a food processor or Vitamix and blend till smooth. Serve.