Everyday Detox – Simple Ways to Cleanse at Home
Detoxing doesn't have to be difficult when you live every day with the intention to eliminate toxins from your diet and home. Here are some tips on how to detox everyday.
There are literally a ton of foods out there that can help your body clear out toxins. An easy detox food tip is to look for colorful vegetables and fruits, but there are other, not-so-bright foods out there as well that can be just as beneficial. Here are just a few:
- Almonds: A great snack or addition to a meal, almonds are high in Vitamin E and help to stabilize your blood sugar, as well as cleaning out your bowels.
- Artichokes: Help amp up your liver function to clear out toxins.
- Avocados: High in good fats and great for smoothies, they also help improve cellular function.
- Beets: Easy to grow at home and excellent for eliminating damaging free-radicals from the body.
- Cucumbers: These high-water content fruits (yes, really!) are great at flushing out your system. Act as though you are having a spa day and add it to your water.
- Dandelions: Dandelion root is a great liver stimulator – look for it in a supplement form.
- Garlic: Easy to add to just about any savory meal, garlic is a great immune system booster. Hate garlic? Look for it in supplement form instead.
- Ginger: Used for centuries in Eastern medicine, it’s also good for your liver – particularly if you’ve consumed alcohol recently.
- Grapefruit: Increases metabolism and helps get your body going.
- Seaweed: Although probably not a staple in your home, this antioxidant-rich food tastes great in soups and salads. Look for it in dried form in the Japanese/Asian foods section of your local grocer.
When you are looking to detox your body, what you drink may be even more important than what you eat. Here are a few drinks to consider:
- Water: Of course water is a huge component of helping your body flush out toxins, so keep a water bottle handy at all times. Try to drink one cup about 30 minutes before each meal to help invigorate your digestive system, then continue drinking after meals and in between.
- Infusions: If you’re tired of plain water, try adding thinly-sliced fruits and veggies to a pitcher of water and cool overnight. You’ll get lightly-flavored water plus a vitamin and antioxidant boost.
- Teas & Hot Drinks: One of the best detox drinks is hot water with lemon and ginger. Brew up a cup and you’ll have a drink that will wake you up and get your body ready for the day, while preparing your liver for the day. Green tea is also a great choice as it is full of antioxidants and is better for you than a cup of Joe.
Besides your body, your mind also needs a chance to catch up and purge any unwanted additions. Things like stress and fatigue can easily build up and affect you negatively – so make an effort every day to stop and let your mind have a rest. This could be as easy as some deep-breathing exercises, meditation, your favorite yoga pose, or just stopping to smell the flowers.
Toxins don’t just get into your body through what you eat and drink, they are also absorbed through your lungs and skin. The products you use to clean your home could be doing more harm than good – so test out some of these homemade, detox-friendly cleaners:
- White Vinegar: Cuts grease and makes a great all-purpose cleaner (mix 1 part with 4 parts water).
- Salt: Naturally abrasive, salt comes in handy for tough jobs and can be used to soak stains out of carpets.
- Castile Soap: A natural soap made from vegetable oil, it’s a perfect floor cleaner when added to a bucket of water.
- Lemon Juice: Smells great and is awesome at getting rid of soap scum and tough odors.
- Fresh Air: Indoor air quality is normally poorer than outdoors, simply because we close up our windows and let toxins build up. Get some fresh air inside, and change your central air system and vacuum cleaner filters regularly so they can help remove impurities from the air.
Detoxing on a daily basis doesn’t have to be a chore; simply keep these tips in mind and do your best to keep your mind, body, and home clean!