FROM THE BORGES FAMILY KITCHEN
The perfect plant-based treat to share with family and friends this holiday season!
Maple Pecan Shortbread
2 cups almond flour
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp water
1 3/4 cups chopped pecans
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp sweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tbsp flax meal
1 tsp arrowroot starch (or tapioca flour)
pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the crust ingredients. Add 1 Tbsp of water at a time until dough sticks together.
3. Evenly spread mixture, pressing down firm into pan and bake for 15 minutes until crust begins to brown. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. For the filling, in a small saucepan, over medium high heat, whisk together the maple syrup, coconut oil, almond milk, flax meal, arrowroot, and sea salt, and stir constantly until mixture slightly thickens (for a few minutes). Set aside while toasting the pecans.
5. In a pan over medium high heat, toast the pecans for about 4-5 minutes, tossing them frequently making sure not to burn.
6. Once toasted, fold in the pecans into the mixture and then evenly spread over the shortbread crust.
7. Return to oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let cool.
9. Refrigerate for about an hour before slicing.