Vegan Mac N' Cheese Recipe
This incredibly simple dish will satisfy even the pickiest kids and also makes a mean, guilt-free weekend indulgence. For more delicious (and guilt-free) plant-based dishes, pick up a copy of The 22-Day Revolution Cookbook.
Mac N' Cheese
From The 22-Day Revolution Cookbook, by Marco Borges
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Cashew Cheese Ingredients:
1 cup raw cashews, presoaked in water overnight
¼ cup water
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 table spoon apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon sea salt
- Drain and rinse the cashews, then toss them into the blender (or food processor) with the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth. If pressed for time, soak cashews in warm water for about 30 minutes, then drain and rinse.
Mac ‘n’ Cheese Ingredients:
Sea salt, to taste
10 ounces unsoaked gluten-free elbow pasta
Scallions, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the cashew cheese according to the recipe and mix with 2 teaspoons of turmeric. Set aside while preparing the pasta.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions.
- Drain the pasta, reserving one cup of the pasta water, and return the cooked pasta to the pot.
- Gently stir the cheese sauce, adding the pasta water as needed until the sauce is as thick or thin as you’d like.
- Spoon Mac ‘n’ Cheese into bowls and enjoy!